Fasting and prayers is a good divine programme for His children. In some areas of the Bible, fasting has been used as an instrument to loose the bands of wickedness. Fasting can be used as a way of settling our problems with the devil. God often communicate to those who fast. Prayer and fasting works together. You cannot fast without prayers. And you cannot fast without reading the Bible. But you can pray without fasting. The kinds of peculiarity Jesus Christ attached to fasting alone is beyond human imagination. Fasting was part of the ministry of Jesus. With the power of fasting, He was able to overcome the enemy (Matthew 4:11). Some people fast for various reasons or purposes. When you fast, it means you are depriving your flesh of food
Many people cannot do without eating but they are praying to God without direction. I have several people that fasted and along the line, they break their fasting. When you tell them what led them into defiling their fasting with food. They began to look for excuses. Some would says, I am hungry. Others would tell you point blank that the fasting is depriving them of some food. Many fast for wrong reasons. It is even hard to see some of these believers to pray fervently when they are in fasting programme. I want to make it clear to those who have little faith about fasting. Fasting is not a way of hunger strike. If you are fasting for the wrong reasons, you will encounter negative results.
Mark 9:29 says, And he said unto them, this kind tcan come forth by nothing, by prayers and fasting.
Fasting is a commandment from God. Fasting when praying allows God to listen to your matters. Then in Joel 2:12, He says, Therefore also now, saith the LORD, turn me ye even to me with all your heart, and with fasting… If you want to stay away from problems, fasting and prayer is the right spiritual dose for you. If you want to win that battle, fasting and prayers are the key to your deliverance”.
HERE ARE THE TIPS TO KNOW THAT YOUR FASTING IN VAIN
1. When your prayer is very shallow
2. When you cannot study the Bible
3. When you find it difficult to forgive
4. When purposely eat or drink water
5. When your mode of dressing is indecent
6. When you have all kinds of porn films on your phone
7. When you find it difficult to thank God
8. When you refuse to give
9. When you devote yourself to another thing completely 1 Cor 7:5.
10.When your mind is not fixed in the fasting exercise
11.When you fornicate during or after fasting
12.When you commit adultery
13.When you cannot say the truth
14.When you curse people
15.When you step on peoples toe
16. When you cannot attend church service or other programmes
17. When you pray in a distracted area
18. When you keep visiting people to help you
HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE READY FOR THE FASTING
1. Pray and prepare yourself
2. Drink water
3. Start cutting down your food
4. Check your health status, if possible ask your doctor
5. Take lots of fruits before the fasting
6. Before the fasting, for example, you can give yourself 1 day fasting of any kinds of fasting to see if you are really ready.
7. Try and avoid any kinds of sins (smoking, drinking, fornication, lying, envy etc)
8. If possible, you can call the pastor or any pastor to pray for strength to take part of this fasting. Sometimes, it may look as if you can take it, but when you are in it, you will feel like stopping the fasting. Avoid it please
9. Open the Bible verses that talks about fasting to feed your spirit, soul and body
10. Preparing a pre fasting and prayers for yourself
11. If you have a spiritual gift start practicing it. (One of them is speaking in other tongues)
WHEN YOU FAST FAITHFULLY AND PRAY IN THE SPIRIT, AND WHEN YOU FOLLOW THESE ABOVE TIPS, THEN THE LORD WILL ANSWER YOUR PRAYERS IN JESUS NAME